Community Cleanups Events Associate - Part Time
United By Blue is looking for a Community Cleanups Events Associate to help manage UBB’s Community Cleanups event series in Fall 2021. Community Cleanups are volunteer-driven, education-focused events in which we invite volunteers, local businesses, nonprofits, and more to join us in cleaning up a body of water in locations around the country. The Associate will manage pre and post event logistics, as well as onsite event management. The Associate will be expected to travel, either by company vehicle or company-funded flights, to the cleanup locations.
The Cleanups team executes the company’s mission to remove one pound of trash from the world’s oceans and waterways for every product sold. The Cleanups team is responsible for developing strategies to remove trash from waterways and track the mission’s progress. One of the main strategies to accomplish this is to host community cleanups. Community Cleanups allow UBB to engage and educate hundreds of volunteers on issues surrounding ocean pollution, while encouraging volunteers to pick up trash along their local waterway.
Reports to: Sustainability / Cleanups Manager
- August 16th 2021 - December 8th 2021
- Approximately 5 hours / week time commitment, with some variation week to week
- 1 - 2 weekends a month
- Candidate should be based in the Philadelphia area and able to go into the UBB office to manage cleanups supplies approximately 2-4 times a month
8/20: Philadelphia, PA
8/28: Portland, OR (Option 1)
9/25: Hillside, NJ
10/16: Portland, OR (Option 2)
11/13: New Orleans
Note: Cleanup dates are subject to change. If dates must change, the Associate’s availability will be considered.
- Cleanups that can be driven to (Philadelphia, NYC, Hillside NJ) include drive time and cleanup time
- Cleanups that are flown to (Portland, New Orleans) include 15 hours of work time
Job Responsibilities: The Community Cleanups Events Associate will travel to all 5 Fall cleanup events to manage onsite event execution. The Associate will gain skills in event planning, volunteer management, partner management, event promotion, environmental activism, and more.
The Community Cleanups Events Associate is expected to manage onsite event execution, including but not limited to:
Assist with cleanup set-up (tent, tables, flags, etc.)
- Event coordination / management experience
- Strong organizational skills - you will be expected to manage tasks before, during and after each event.
- Accountable - will be held to work deliverables and deadlines, without direct supervision
- Comfortable adapting to needs / responsibilities that arise quickly at cleanup events
- Comfortable leading- speaking to volunteers at a cleanup event during registration, safety briefings, etc.
- Detail oriented
- Leadership training experience, either professionally or through extracurriculars
- Interest in ocean conservation issues
- Interest in sustainable business practices and mission-driven work
- High level of professionalism to represent the brand at events
- Must be able to be present to manage all cleanup events in Fall 2021
- Must be comfortable working in outdoor areas, along rivers and coastlines (uneven footing, occasionally long walks carrying equipment, etc.)
- Must be comfortable handling beach cleanup equipment and handling trash bags after the cleanup event.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license that will not expire throughout the duration of the Cleanup season.
- Must be comfortable driving a Sprinter Van to and from events (up to 3 hours driving each way)
- Must be comfortable doing general supplies / equipment maintenance, including regular laundry of cleanup supplies, keeping equipment clean and functional, etc.
- Must possess a working laptop from which to conduct office work remotely.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50+ lbs.
About United By Blue:
United By Blue is an outdoor lifestyle brand with a focus on waterway conservation. Our apparel, bags, and accessories are designed with responsibility and durability at their core.
In 2015, Outside Magazine named United By Blue as #3 Best Places to Work in the outdoor industry. We are also a Certified B Corporation, creating a culture that is driven by social and environmental good.
205 Race Street, Philadelphia PA (Old City)
How to Apply:
E-mail resume and a few sentences about why you want to work with us to firstname.lastname@example.org